Tuesday, June 15, 2010

David

Dear Grandpa,
I enjoyed reading your ideas on religion and thought it was a very interesting view on people’s beliefs in "God." I agreed with certain aspects, for instance the need to believe in a higher power and the good that can come from it. You however seemed to believe that the belief in "God" to gain some reward like Heaven or good fortune is a negative thing. I believe that it is necessary as a tool for survival like you had also said. I believe that the belief in Heaven is more of a means of control, something to keep people from doing things deemed "Evil," or Satanic. For example murder, rape, assault. These are things that need to be stopped and I think that religion is the loophole that they found to subdue a certain amount of these things.
I do believe in "God," per se, however I do not believe in the Bible (disciples, ten commandments, etc.). I like to think that there is someone watching my back and helping me through life in everything that I do. Even if it’s just my subconscious that I'm talking to, it still gives me a good peace of mind believing that there is someone that is always listening when I have something to say. This however is as far as my belief goes.
As far as the disciples and those things go, I think that those things are made up legends that have been passed down over the years to lay the grounds for the belief in "God." My belief in this rests on the fact that no matter what religion you look at, all are pretty close in relation.
Guy

Dear Guy,

Thank you for reading my article. There is evidence that good can come from belief in a higher power. I would suggest the success of Alcoholics Anonymous as an example. I’m sure there are others that can point out other evidence in abundance. There is, however, some question as to whether this good comes directly from the higher power or whether it comes from the belief itself. As an evolutionist I tend to believe we often rationalize away our irrational (instinctive, intuitive) drive to survive, and by so doing become vulnerable to self-destructive behaviors such as drinking, smoking, drugs, overeating, etc. Often by simply replacing our rationalizations (our nihilistic responses of guilt, self-loathing, self-pity, blaming others) of that which overpowers us and our pagan view of ourselves as all-powerful (able to solve our own problems, able to manipulate [which is often the point in denying the existence of] God), with our instincts (our rational instinct in a subordinate position to the rest) can give us the strength and subconsciously perhaps even the strategy for regaining control of our mind and our body.
If Heaven or good fortune is the reason one believes in God, I would suggest a re-evaluation of one's motives. In the language of the religious, I would point out that the promise of Heaven or good fortune, even for good behavior, is making a deal with the devil. That a good God would make such a deal seems inconsistent with the concept of a good God. In the first place, God does not need to make deals; He is God. What He decides is what is. In the second place, if God is so desirous that we be good that He would bargain with us, why would He not just make us to be good? Thirdly, what value can there be in being good for the sake of a reward? If goodness is to be a value, it must surely be the reward itself.
As an evolutionist I can find no evidence, nor can I think of any reason, for there to be a Heaven. However, I can surmise that, should God want our continuing company (as well He might since He does seem to respect us), there might be some form of continuing existence for us. I do not believe this, but I cannot in good faith dismiss it as unthinkable. And since I do believe that God wants what is best for us, Heaven just might be it. Personally, I see nothing in Heaven that makes it appear to be much more than what I already have, and if God should ask me if I would like to go to Heaven, I would have to respond, “I would be more comfortable if You would decide what should happen to me now,” knowing He would choose what is best. That God would reward or punish me for my behavior I find unacceptable. The behavior itself is reward or punishment enough.
Concerning evil, as an evolutionist I suggest it is in the eye of the beholder. What is evil one moment seems too often to become good the next. The victim, or one who perceives himself as the potential victim, sees evil. The perpetrator (the predator), or one who sees himself as the perpetrator, seems to see it differently. To the extent that religion tends to adopt the victims view, I would agree with you that it gives us a perspective, an empathy we might otherwise not have. Religions do not always do that however. Too often they justify the perpetrator, and too often they are the perpetrator (the predator). There is also the problem that victims often contribute to their own misfortune, and religion often encourages them to do just that: remain ignorant, depend on others for their sustenance, don’t fight back, etc.
As for the Bible, I would suggest you do not judge it or any other religious documentation too harshly. Some very intelligent and sincere people have done much thinking and much soul searching in the writing contained therein. If you read this documentation (the Bible, the Torah, the Koran, the Veda, etc) in a thoughtful and open-minded way, there is much to be
learned. There is a problem with literalism, which has badly discredited these writings down through the years. Much of this literature is meant to stimulate an intuitive understanding of that which cannot be understood, or is extremely difficult to understand, rationally. Those who hold their irrational selves in contempt interpret literally what was never meant for that genre, and consequently have caused much confusion. If you can learn to read with your heart as well as your head, these documents can prove a productive force in your life.
You have expressed two insights that bear mentioning and reinforcing. First, you converse with God and feel His presence and do not seem to feel a need to justify His rational reality. I would encourage most enthusiastically that you continue to do so. Second, you are aware of a connection between and among all the writers of all religious documents and do not exclude any. If you should choose to explore any of these writings, I would caution you to not let your good sense desert you as it has deserted so many in the past few years.
Grandpa

No comments:

Post a Comment